Friday, November 16, 2001

If you're reading this, I'm taking for granted that you love old movies like I do. Some of my favorite movies of all time are generally acknowledged classics like CASABLANCA, THE PHILADELPHIA STORY, IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE, and SINGIN' IN THE RAIN. It's fairly easy to find reviews and information about those kinds of treasured favorites. But most of the movies I'll be writing about here are ones that may not have reached the status of "classic": B-movies, for example, or the earlier films of big stars--much as I love Bette Davis in ALL ABOUT EVE, I'll be more likely to review a less well-known Davis movie like FRONT PAGE WOMAN or FOG OVER FRISCO. I feel lucky to be living in a time when such movies are accessible through video tape and cable (especially the wonderful Turner Classic Movies). So join me as I get up in the middle of the night, unable to sleep, and watch a late, late show. On a good night, I'll discover some "lost" gem; even on a bad night, I'll usually find something about the movie to enjoy--a juicy performance by a supporting actor, a clever quip, or even an interesting camera angle. Eventually, I'll post my e-mail address and I hope you'll share your own observations about these films with me.

No comments: