Sunday, May 18, 2008

How I Operate:

Someone recently asked me if I could post the movies I'm going to review in advance so readers of this blog could catch them. Unfortunately, that's not terribly feasible given the way I operate here. Each day or two I scan the TCM schedule via my cable provider's on-screen program guide and I set the DVR to record the movies I want to see. I then watch them at my leisure, and sometimes they stay on the DVR for months before I get around to them. I eventually watch them, taking notes along the way, then write up my review as a Word document and store it on my computer or hard drive for retrieval when I post the review here, which might be months later. However, I sometimes wait quite a while before I write my review--hence the note-taking so I don't forget key details--so ultimately, I may not post a review of a movie for six months to a year after it actually aired on Turner Classic or Fox Movie Channel. I currently have over 100 reviews backed up on my computer, and probably about 40 movie notes stuck away in a folder which I haven't turned into reviews yet.

But what I can do is scan the TCM schedule a week or two ahead of time and post here periodically a list of movies that 1) I'm planning on catching for review, and 2) movies I've reviewed in the past or have enjoyed without reviewing which are coming up. Below is my first such list (all air times Eastern):

* On TCM's Jimmy Stewart day, Tuesday, 5/20, three of my favorite Stewart films are airing: SHOP AROUND THE CORNER (9:45 a.m.), PHILADELPHIA STORY (11:30 a.m.), and VERTIGO (5:45 p.m.)

* I may try to catch MISS SADIE THOMPSON (5/22, 7:15 a.m.), Rita Hayworth's take on the famous prostitute from Somerset Maugham's "Rain," though I'm sure the movie won't be better than the Joan Crawford early 30's version.

* The lovely young John Payne is on display in the amusing boxing movie KID NIGHTINGALE (5/23, 9:15 a.m) which also has the always reliable Jane Wyman in her early B-movie days when she was fun.

* BREAKER MORANT, an excellent Australian military courtroom drama from 1980 is on Saturday night, 5/24, at 11:15 p.m.

* TCM's Memorial Day war movie schedule (5/26) has THE LOST PATROL (8:30 a.m.) which served as a template for many later war films in which a small group of soldiers is being picked off one by one in an isolated location. It's a good one. Also SINCE YOU WENT AWAY (2:00 p.m.), a solid WWII homefront film, better than MRS. MINIVER.

* On 5/27 at 6:00 a.m., I'll be recording ATLANTIC ADVENTURE, a mid-30's B-movie I know nothing about except it has Lloyd Nolan, who was always good in those kinds of films.

1 comment:

JB said...

Thanks, Mike ... looks like a pain in the ass though ... I won't be offended if you don't keep it up.

You will always be the Robert Osborne of Denney Hall.